29 January 2010

SHRINE TO COMPLETE

While the tea is brewing, I'm tempted to get depressed because the little frieze of dancing figures that I've fixed in at the back of the main section of the Shrine is not showing up too well. Partly because the elm surface that faces you is aged and faded, which I like; and partly because no light gets round behind it to create a theatrical dynamic when it's against the wall, which is how it has to be. Or does it? I'm thinking that maybe next time I make one of these I could try using the frieze as a door, positioned in front, that you open and close to get at your sacred object or books or whatever you've got in there. That way the figures will get more habitually drawn into play, and will stand out better because of not being pressed up against the wall. I guess you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about - no image of this work available as yet - but you can see what I mean by these figurative friezes by clicking onto the website and sort of cruising around in there, like have a look at the Shrines in the Functional Objects section; www.paulandersonart.co.uk
Either way, I wanted to share with you the great sense of possibility that this small but irritating impasse has opened up. Still excited after all these years. By the simplest of things.
Now for tea, a blend of Clipper Everyday Organic, looseleaf Assam, and looseleaf Earl Grey. Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment