20 January 2010

STILL WITH THE TABLE

Yes the Table though finished is still with me. I'm remembering especially the day I decided how exactly I was going to incorporate the long curved section of old oak boat hull. We had talked about possibilities, of something longer than strictly functional emerging somehow or other alongside or each side of the main body of the object. When the time came to finally decide which boat timbers to use (I had picked out a handful of possibles) I knew it had to be just one major wild section, apart from the shorter lengths already reserved for the two ends. And how to align it, given that it was going to be integral from a mechanical point of view ? (Integral because it was to be, apart from visually risky, the hypotenuse of the underbelly's main structural triangle.) I'm OK with the uprights of a frame protruding through the surface of a table, yes: June Summerill (Summerill & Bishop) and Tricia Guild (Designers Guild) have both had tables like that from me. But this is the first time I've thought, yep, this beautiful curve needs to come straight through the surface and continue on for a few inches at least. Partly because to cut it short would have been a kind of crime, and partly because to let it run on adds a fantastic surge of movement and drama. I knew this client would go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment